Another WebSocket woes post - WS connection closes after +-5 minutes

youtube
javascript

PhantomBot Version: 3.0.0 (Revision: fcc08b51)
Operating System: Linux
Java Version: 1.8.0_191-8u191-b12-2ubuntu0.16.04.1-b12
Browser and Version (for Panel Support): Chrome Version 73.0.3683.86 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Stock PhantomBot: Yes (I think. Uses 25000-25003 ports, and HTTPS)

Let us know what help you need:

Hello!

As per title, the /ytplayer page seems to be opening a web socket connection no problem, and is accepting requests from chat without problem and is responsive to button commands in the /ytplayer page, like play, shuffle etc.

However, after around 5 minutes WS gets closed, and I get that JS toast message which fires when onclose function is executed.

I tried connecting from my PC via “telnet to my.server.name 25003” command - it did so successfully, and after 5 minutes got “Connection closed by foreign host.” message in terminal.

It’s a VPS box.

Stuff I tried: enabling/disabling https - same results

Any thoughts on how to fix this are greatly appreciated!!

0 Likes

My guess is this. We have seen some VPS providers that auto-close connections that are idle for a period of time. Some services go as low as 2 minutes. If you are seeing the connection close after 5-minutes when there is no traffic, it may very well be the VPS is dropping connections that are idle after a period of time.

I don’t believe the Control Panel constantly sends data back and forth like the YouTube Player - which has songs, and status updates, which are sent pretty often.

I will double check the Control Panel and see if we can provide a PING/PONG service that may alleviate the issue, if that is what is going on.

1 Like

PR2129 creates a PING/PONG operation between the Core and the Panel. The operation occurs every 2 minutes. This will be in the next Nightly Build. I am curious if this helps to alleviate the issue.

0 Likes

You know what it seems this has solved the issue! I’ve been running my /ytplayer for solid 30 min now and it’s still responsive!

Excellent work, thank you so much! (and if anything changes, I’ll reply here)

1 Like

Excellent! Will keep this then as part of the next release.

Thank you for the feedback, it helps!

0 Likes