Invidio.us support to fix YTP issues

youtube
youtube-player

I believe I’ve found the solution to a problem several users are experiencing with the current YouTube player. Invidio.us is an open-source front-end to YouTube that appears to allow problem videos to be embedded where YouTube’s player does not. What makes this even more appealing is that the video IDs are the same between Invidious and YouTube.

Instead of having a youtube.com/watch?v= or youtu.be/, you would simply substitute invidio.us/watch?v=.

I’m not a developer, so I don’t know how much work would be involved in this, but I would think this is a doable thing.

For reference, here is a link to the github and the API

I guess the developers will answer: TOS.

1. General Use of the Service—Permissions and Restrictions

YouTube hereby grants you permission to access and use the Service as set forth in these Terms of Service, provided that:

C. You agree not to access Content through any technology or means other than the video playback pages of the Service itself, the Embeddable Player, or other explicitly authorized means YouTube may designate.

F. If you use the Embeddable Player on your website, you may not modify, build upon, or block any portion or functionality of the Embeddable Player, including but not limited to links back to the YouTube website.

Circumventing the desires of the content owner to not allow in an Embeddable Player is also not necessarily a good idea and probably why this is in the TOS. I am going to assume that Invidio.us is not authorized by YouTube.

We have traced a bit of the issue for the Embeddable Errors as being a generic error thrown after other internal YouTube errors have been tossed. For example, our API key was recently shown to be over limits.
There was a PR submitted.

What will be seen if this Nightly Build is used (and once it folds into the stable) is:

[12-14-2018 @ 10:18:40.304 MST] [ERROR] [GetData()@YouTubeAPIv3.java:180] YouTubeAPIv3 Error: [Domain] usageLimits [Reason] keyInvalid
[12-14-2018 @ 10:18:40.309 MST] [ERROR] [youtubePlayer.js:746] YoutubeVideo::exception: This video is not allowed to be embedded (ID: vY_kyk8yL9U)

This way we know what is really an embedded error and what isn’t.

Youtube.com to Invidio.us

It happens for me with my own API key as well, so I don’t think that’s the issue on my end.

Get the new Nightly and you can get additional information about the error. If no additional errors are presented, then YouTube returned the video as not-embeddable. If, like in another post, the YouTube Player itself is throwing errors 150 or 101, then that is the Player directly indicating that the video is not permitted in an embeddable player.

Either way, we will not circumvent YouTube per their TOS.

EDIT: I do see that you are getting the Embedded Player throwing error 150:

Here’s the error it gives when skipping now:
[onMessage()@YTWebSocketServer.java:248] Skipping song, YouTube has thrown an error: 150

That is a valid error back from YouTube.

101 – The owner of the requested video does not allow it to be played in embedded players.
150 – This error is the same as 101. Its just a 101 error in disguise!

You are free to reach out to the Content Owner and ask why they do not allow their videos to be embedded.